~ Movie ~ Topic 5 ~ Thelma and Louise ~ Trailer ~
Director: Ridley Scott ~ Main Actors: Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Harvey Keitel, Brad Pitt
Plot Overview ~ Adapted from Wikipedia ~ Genre: Road film
Read the text and discuss the follow-up questions:
Two friends, Thelma Dickinson (Geena Davis) and Louise Sawyer (Susan Sarandon), set out for a two-day vacation to take a break from their dreary lives. Thelma is married to Darryl, a control freak, while Louise works as a waitress and is dating a musician who spends most of his time on the road. They head out on a road trip.
They stop for a drink at a roadhouse, where Thelma meets and dances with a man named Harlan. They go together into the parking lot. Harlan starts kissing her and Thelma struggles, but then he slaps her. Louise finds them and threatens to shoot Harlan with a gun that Thelma brought with her. Harlan stops, but as the women walk away, he insults them. Louise loses her temper and fires, killing him.
Thelma wants to go to the police, but Louise panics. Afraid that she will be prosecuted, Louise decides to go on the run and Thelma accompanies her.
Heading west, they come across an attractive young man named J.D. (Brad Pitt), and Thelma convinces Louise to let him hitch a ride with them. Louise contacts her boyfriend Jimmy and asks him to wire her life savings to her. When she goes to pick up the money, she finds that Jimmy has come to deliver the money in person.
Meanwhile, Thelma invites J.D. into her room and they sleep together. She learns he is a thief who has broken parole, and J.D. describes how he conducted his hold-ups. At the same time, Jimmy asks Louise to marry him, but she declines.
It turns out that J.D. has stolen Louise's life savings and fled. Louise is distraught and frozen with indecision, so Thelma, feeling extreme guilt over the theft, robs a convenience store. At the same time, the FBI is getting closer to apprehending the two women after questioning J.D. and Jimmy.
When they are pulled over by a state trooper, Thelma holds him at gunpoint and locks him in the trunk of his car, while Louise takes his gun and ammunition.
Thelma and Louise are finally cornered by the authorities only one hundred yards from the edge of the Grand Canyon. The police make one last attempt to talk the women into surrendering themselves. Rather than being captured and spending the rest of their lives in prison, Thelma proposes that they "keep going". In a dramatic finish, they ride the car gloriously into the canyon, plunging to their deaths.
1) Do you like road movies? What makes them different from other genres?
2) Have you ever taken a road trip? Who with, where did you go, what did you do?
3) How often do you take a vacation? Do you travel to the same place often? For how long?
4) Have you ever taken a trip with a good friend? Where did you go? What did you do?
5) Have you ever had an accident, been in danger, or had a disappointment on a trip? Tell.
1) Thelma and Louise took a road trip as an escape. What made their lives ¡°dreary¡±?
2) Thelma¡¯s husband is described as a ¡°control freak¡±. What does this term refer to?
3) Louise declines her boyfriend¡¯s marriage proposal. Why do you think so?
4) The two main characters go through a transformation in this movie. Can you describe it?
5) This movie has been described as ¡°the last great film about women¡±. How so?
Challenge: Make your own follow-up questions and discuss them.
© COPYRIGHT The Language Works and its licensors 2006 ~ 2016. All rights reserved.
~ TLW ~ Movies, Lectures, and Biography ~
1) Watch and Listen to the video trailer and read the text preview
2) Clarify meaning as a class (including comprehension and vocabulary)
3) In pairs or in groups, discuss the vocabulary and movie content
a) If you¡¯ve seen the movie, tell the rest of the story¡¦
b) If you haven¡¯t seen the movie, talk about what you think happens next¡¦
4) In pairs or in groups, discuss the conversation questions
5) As a class, take turns using the conversation questions to expand your ideas